Pheneos, Agios Georgios Monastery (“Fonia” Monastery)

The entrance of Agios Georgios' monastery at Pheneos. The church of Agios Georgios in Pheneos belongs to an important monastery complex, situated northwest of the village of Kalyvia. The monastery (Palaiomonastiro) was initially situated at a lower level, but the 14th c. structure was abandoned due to the raise of water level at the nearby lake Doxa, which caused its relocation to a higher ground at north.  The new construction was ready by 1693.
The katholikon is a domed basilica with narthex and exonarthex (external dimensions 15,65x7,49 m) built in 1693. The narthex is covered by a dome, the main naos of the church (belonging to a basilica with dome, supported by barrel vaults that rest on four semipillars type plan). At the middle of the main aisle the bema is located, and the prothesis and diakonikon at its both sides. The middle niche externally forms a semipentagonal shape. 

The church was damaged in 1740 by a fire. The whole complex was renovated in 1754. Wall paintings were made by Panayiotes of Ioannina, who followed the Cretan fresco style, by 1762-1768, according to an inscription found above the main entrance of the church. The carved templon dates to the 18th century (1762).

The monastery extends in three levels, as it is constructed enclosing a courtyard (36,60x30,00 m) with Agios Georgios church. 

Nemea Zacholi (Evrostini)


Sources

http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh251.jsp?obj_id=1487&era=3&group=7, official website of the Greek Ministry of Culture
Chrysafi Ζografou Μ., «Άμεσες Σωστικές εργασίες στο Μοναστήρι Αγ. Γεωργίου Φενεού», εκπονηθείσα μελέτη, Κorinthos 2013. 

Gritsopoulos Τ., «Μονή Αγ. Γεωργίου Φενεού», Πρακτκά 1ου Συνεδρίου Κορινθιακών Σπουδών, Ιστορικά Κορινθιακά Μοναστήρια, Κόρινθος 5-7 Μαίου 2006, Κorinthos 2009, 19-60. 

Stikas Ε., «Ιερά Μονή Αγ. Γεωργίου Φενεού», Πελοποννησιακή Πρωτοχρονιά 1964, 113-114.

Eleni I. Kanetaki

 

The main courtyard of the Monastery.The main courtyard with its two storeys
The dome of Agios Georgios 
The interior of the "hayat", overlooking the panorama and Lake Doxa.The entrance of Agios Georgios' KatholikonThe existing frescoes inside Agios Georgios's churchThe interior of Agios Georgios and the inscription regarding the church's construction 


The ground floor plan of Agios Georgios church in Feneos (Stikas Ε., «Ιερά Μονή Αγ. Γεωργίου Φενεού», Πελοποννησιακή Πρωτοχρονιά 1964, 113-114.).Detail of the frescoes regarding the church's construction (Stikas Ε., «Ιερά Μονή Αγ. Γεωργίου Φενεού», Πελοποννησιακή Πρωτοχρονιά 1964, 113-114.).





Web Design and Development : Diadrasis Logo